The Auxiliary have teamed up with Creative Darlington and for their next round of ABODE, an artist-in-own-residence programme. The aim is to encourage artists to develop new skills and to consider new approaches to their creative practices.
This project is offering five mini-grants of £200, for applications from artists with a DL postcode. Apply by Tuesday 28th April 2020.
The open call is simple. Select a free open-source program from the list below, download it, install it and start learning, experimenting, succeeding, failing and creating.
There is a lot to play with here, whether its creating music in Pure Data, 3D sculptures in Blender, visuals in VVVV or even turning Skype into something fun with the green-screen function of OBS… the possibilities are truly endless.
At the end of quarantine, everyone will be invited to share the work with The Auxiliary and the wider community.
The four programs to choose from are Blender, VVVV, Pure Data and OBS
- Blender is a graphics software tool-set used for creating animated films, visual effects, art, 3D printed models, motion graphics, interactive 3D applications, and computer games (https://www.blender.org/)
- VVVV is a general-purpose toolkit with a special focus on real-time video synthesis and programming large media environments with physical interfaces, real-time motion graphics, audio and video (https://vvvv.org/)
- Pure Data (Pd) is a visual programming language for creating interactive computer music and multimedia works (https://puredata.info/)
- Open Broadcast Studio (OBS) is a free and open-source software suite for recording and live streaming. OBS provides real-time source and device capture, scene composition, encoding, recording, and broadcasting (https://obsproject.com/)
During this residency, the organisers will host live Q&A sessions with experts in the aforementioned programs. The Q&A will be open to the public, and everyone is welcome to explore the programs’ possibilities.
Single A4-page application should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following:
1. Artistic Practice Description
2. Which program you will use
3. Rough idea of the project’s ambition
4. Links to previous work